Friday, October 16, 2009

For the purpose of immeasurable love

My overall understanding of tithing rests in the idea of giving. I was taught to give at least ten percent of my earnings. This is one of those things I always wanted to question "why?", but didn't know if it would be appropriate.

As I was hesitant to ask questions, somehow, I began to learn more about tithing. My mom used to tell me that I am easily attached to people. This was something I had to consider when choosing a career route. I was also attached to my stuffed animals and I also had to learn to give them up over time. It wasn't easy. Money was not as hard for me as I didn't really have a lot of work experience at the time. Now that I am older, however, I can admit that I see how it is difficult for people to let go of materialistic things, such as money. I'm always reminded of how holding on to things is never healthy.

Tithing is beneficial for everybody, including ourselves. It is a reminder to “teach you always to fear the Lord your God” (Deuteronomy 14:22-23). This alone is clear that tithing is necessary for Christians. It helps us to set our minds on things above so that we can better serve him.

Some people have a good handle on this concept, but they should also realize that this should not just be a dutiful act. It should be something that we take joy in because God takes joy in his people. In giving, we should show love. This means we must give in a generous manner that is pleasing to God. To do so, people should quit thinking about the exact amount of money that they are "losing". Instead, they should think about how little that sacrifice is in comparison with God's immense sacrifice and immeasurable love.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed . . . our sacrifices are incomparably small to what Christ sacrificed for us. And when we give to God, we aren't "losing" anything, but are investing in His Kingdom work in this world.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete